Partner Assault Response
Partner Assault Response (PAR) program, is a component of Victims and Vulnerable Persons Divisions, which follows and adheres to standards set by the Ministry of The Attorney General for men and women who have been charged with Domestic offences.
PAR Program is a psycho-educational group which combines education and skills building to individuals who have displayed physically and/or emotionally abusive behaviours towards their intimate partners.
The 12-week program allows individuals the opportunity to learn new behaviours and responses, by providing the opportunity to examine beliefs and attitudes towards imitate partner relationships.
Programs are coordinated through the following locations:
25 Front Avenue West, Suite1
Brockville, ON K6V 4J2
T: (613) 342-2262 ext.5319
F: (613) 342-4969
Smiths Falls Office (servicing Lanark County)
179 Elmsley Street, North
Smiths Falls, ON K7A 2H8
T: (613) 283-7723 x 308
F: (613) 283-9407
More about the program...
- To assist in identifying acts of violence as a way of controlling his/her partner’s actions, thoughts and feelings.
- To challenge participants to change by examining the negative impact of the behaviours on the partner, children and him/herself.
- To increase understanding of the causes of abuse by examining the societal context in which using violence towards a partner is learned.
- To assist in acknowledging abuse and assuming responsibility for actions and the impact of abuse on children.
Program Content includes;
- The Impact of Abuse on Partners and Children Who Witness
- Emotion Management
- Healthy Sexuality
- Self-talk and Distorted Thinking Awareness
- Beliefs and Attitudes about Men and Women, particularly in a relationship
- Empathy Skills Development
- Conflict Evolution Skills Building
- Case Illustrations (via videos)
- Power and Control Issues
- Healthy Relationship Interaction Skills Building
As part of the client’s participation in the program, current partners, victims and (where applicable) previous partners will be contacted to discuss and review safety issues, referrals to community resources, information and services for victims of violence.
Should a partner express an interest further information/contacts, follow-up phone calls are provided, as well as an information package (containing local service agencies, court information., emergency numbers, etc.)